Did you know that a zoned HVAC system can save you up to 30% in energy costs? That alone makes installing a zoned HVAC system in your home a great investment. But there are other benefits to replacing or supplementing the current cooling and heating system in your Ventura or San Fernando area home with a zoned one.
What Is Zoned HVAC?
A zoned HVAC system lets you control separate rooms, aka zones, of your house. Each zone has its own thermostat and a motorized damper on each zone’s ductwork. When the zone’s thermostat senses that a space’s temperature is outside the limits you’ve set, it opens the damper and allows the warm or cool air into the zone. All the thermostats in your home are connected to a central controller, so if any one of them “requests” airflow, the central HVAC system is turned on.
Some people ask us how a zoned system can be efficient when they’ve always heard closing off vents in individual rooms is detrimental to their HVAC system’s efficiency. That’s a good question! It’s true that standard central HVAC ductwork is not designed for zoning, but a zoned system uses a bypass duct to allow for proper airflow.
Is the Investment in Zoned HVAC Worth It?
Not so long ago, the only way to heat and cool your home was with a central HVAC system that conditioned the entire house until it reached the thermostat’s set temperature. Home zoning has become a popular alternative to the often-inefficient standard approach to controlling the indoor comfort level.
Here are just a few of the benefits of installing a zoned HVAC system:
- Improved indoor comfort. No more arguing over thermostat settings! Each room or zone’s temperature can be adjusted to individual preferences.
- Decreased utility bills. Just like you have light switches for each room in your home, a zoned HVAC system makes sense if you want to control costs. Why heat or cool rooms or areas that people rarely use?
- Lower repair costs. Central HVAC units suffer more wear and tear because they work extra hard to heat and cool the entire house. A zoned approach can extend your HVAC system’s life span and reduce repair costs. You’ll still need to invest in regular maintenance, preferably right before summer and winter.
Is Your Home a Good Candidate for a Zoned HVAC System?
Just about any home can benefit from installing a zoned HVAC system. They’re particularly beneficial for:
- Two or more story homes with attics and finished basements. The larger your home, the more energy it uses to heat and cool the entire house.
- Homes with a high number of windows, especially in one room or zone. The heat gain and loss through your home’s windows account for 25 to 30% of your home’s heating and cooling energy use.
- Multi-generational homes where everyone has their own temperature needs. Family members can adjust the temperature to their own comfort levels.
Talk to Us About a Zoned HVAC System
The potential for serious savings on energy costs and the opportunity to ensure everyone in the home is comfortable are two factors that make investing in a zoned HVAC system a good idea. Whether you’re looking to enhance efficiency, want greater flexibility, or desire customizable comfort, there are many reasons to choose zoned heating and air conditioning services. To learn more and to decide if a zoned system is right for your home, talk to the pros at Aladdin Air Conditioning & Heating today. You can contact us online or call us at (805) 480-0327.