If you’ve perused our air conditioner installation page, you probably noticed that we talk a good deal about the importance of sizing your cooling system. But why is the size of your system so important? Does it have an impact on power, comfort, and efficiency? Yes, it does!
At Aladdin Air Conditioning & Heating, we feel that an informed consumer is a smart one, and we want to help in providing all of the information you’ll ever need regarding your cooling system! Today our certified experts cover the importance of air conditioner size, and the role it plays in your home.
Contact us now to schedule AC installation in Ventura County, San Fernando Valley, or Santa Clarita Valley! We serve everywhere from Newbury Park and Simi Valley to Santa Clarita and Ventura.
Too Big or Too Small: Does Air Conditioner Size Matter?
To maximize effectiveness and to avoid complications, your AC system must be sized exactly to meet your specific needs. A lot of factors come into play here, including:
- Square footage
- How many floors you have
- How many residents live in your home
- The number of rooms
- And many other factors
What’s the Problem with an Undersized Air Conditioner?
AC systems that are too small for your home will simply fall short, particularly in the Southern California heat. They will not provide the cooling you need to stay comfortable, and can cause a lot of problems, including:
- A hot home. A small system is just not going to supply the cooling you need. Your cooling will be uneven, maybe enough in a room or two throughout the home, but you’ll have a lot of hot spots floating around.
- High humidity levels. As a secondary function, your system dehumidifies the air in your home. A system that is too small will not be able to do this, leaving the humidity present in your indoor air very high. This means your home will feel warmer, and you might even encounter a mold problem.
- Poor system lifespans. Your too-small system will try its little heart out, for sure, but that effort will send it into an early retirement. A system that is too small will likely be on at all times, making it overwork and bogging it down.
What’s the Problem with an Oversized Air Conditioner?
Bigger means better, right? Not for air conditioners! A larger system, opposite of a too small one, works too little. This means it never really gets the job done right, leading to some serious problems:
- Disparity in temperatures. A large system will cool rooms quickly, but they’ll never stay that way for long. Once your thermostat notices the target temperature has been met, it shuts your system off. In an oversized system, your thermostat will basically be tricked, getting cool far too fast, and that cool air won’t be enough to sustain comfort for long at all.
- High humidity. Because of the above problem, your larger system will never stay on long enough to adequately remove humidity in your home. This means it might collect some, but it will just get blown back in. This can leave you hot, moist, and more than a little frustrated.
- Frequent breakdowns. Because your system will be kicking on and off far too frequently, it will tend to wear out very quickly. This means an inordinate number of professional repair calls, which will eat your wallet alive in no time.
Looking for a perfectly sized and installed air conditioning system for your home in Ventura, Santa Clarita, or the surrounding areas? Contact Aladdin Air Conditioning & Heating today!