Tips for Saving on Energy in Southern CA
Posted on: April 28, 2020
Are you tired of spending your hard-earned cash on home operating costs? By making a few simple changes, you can enjoy substantial energy savings all year round. We have compiled a list of things you can do to help you get the most out of your fixtures and appliances.
For more useful HVAC tips, please contact Aladdin Air Conditioning & Heating. We serve Ventura, Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, and the surrounding areas.
Lower Heating & Air Conditioning Costs in Southern CA
Heating and cooling usually accounts for over half of a home’s energy bills. The weather may be relatively mild in Southern California, but there are still plenty of ways to reduce what you pay to keep your home comfortable. Here’s what we recommend for Ventura, Simi Valley, and Thousand Oaks residents:
- Set the temperature to 78 degrees in the summer and 68 degrees in the winter. You’ll save 10% or more compared to keeping the temperature at 75 degrees all year round.
- Use a programmable thermostat to set the temperature back while you’re away or sleeping. A Wi-Fi thermostat is even more beneficial because it allows you to monitor and control your home’s temperature from anywhere.
- Open the windows or run a fan on mild days to give your air conditioner a break.
- In the summer, close the curtains to block direct sunlight. In the winter, open them up during the day to enjoy free heating from the sun. Then, close the curtains at night to insulate the windows.
- Clean or replace the air filter every one to three months or as recommended by the manufacturer. This maintains optimal airflow for the best equipment performance possible.
- To reduce your home’s cooling load, avoid using the stove and oven in the heat of the afternoon. Instead, heat food in the microwave or grill outdoors.
Need help implementing these tips? Want more ideas to cut back on heating and cooling costs? Contact us today!
Reduce Other Home Energy Costs
You can save energy beyond just heating and cooling your home wisely. Incorporate these additional tips for even more energy savings:
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with more efficient LEDs. Not only do these bulbs reduce lighting costs by more than 75%, but they also emit less heat, lowering your cooling costs in the process.
- Plug home electronics into power strips. Then, when not in use, turn everything off with the flip of a switch to reduce “phantom energy loss.”
- Hang-dry your clothes to avoid the energy costs of running the dryer. This also reduces interior heat gain for lower air conditioning bills. Just remember to hang the clothes outdoors so you don’t increase the humidity inside.
- Clean the coils on the back or bottom of your refrigerator to prevent it from working harder than necessary.
- Install timers on your outdoor lights so they don’t run all night long.
With this well-rounded approach to lowering your energy costs, you’re well on your way to cutting your utility bills in half! Contact Aladdin AC to learn more about the importance of energy efficiency.
Contact Us for HVAC Services in Southern CA
Whether you want your existing furnace to run more efficiently with routine heating maintenance, or you’re ready to install a high-efficiency air conditioner in San Fernando Valley this summer, Aladdin AC can help. From repairs and tune-ups to installations and replacements, our experienced team has you covered.
Give us a call at (661) 414-0444 for Santa Clarita Valley; (818) 991-5684 for San Fernando Valley; or (805) 480-0327 for Ventura County. You can also contact us online to schedule HVAC services in Southern California.