How to Keep Your Home Comfortable in the SoCal Winter
Posted on: December 18, 2017
Although Southern California has winters that are typically mild, cooler air can occasionally sweep through, making it uncomfortably cold, especially at night. To keep your home warm and pleasant during these cold spells, there are several things you can do to make your home more efficient, which will help to minimize your energy costs and reduce the amount of time you use your furnace or heat pump.
Winter Home Comfort Tips
An efficient home will require less energy to heat and will be able to hold the temperature longer between cycles of your heating system. Here are a few things you can do to make your home more efficient and comfortable this winter:
- Maintain the HVAC system. Make sure your heating system is serviced before the beginning of the season to ensure it operates as efficiently as possible.
- Install a programmable thermostat. By lowering the temperature when you are at work or away from home, you can reduce energy costs while still enjoying a comfortable home when you are there.
- Get a more energy efficient roof. This is really for the people who know their roof is getting old but by using a shingle that can keep heat inside your home instead of letting the heat escape will help keep you warm. It’s also important to look for a roof that is guaranteed to last a long time so view the blog post on Prime Roofing’s site to make sure you know what you should be looking for.
- Add a humidifier. Humid air feels warmer to the skin than dry air, and it is generally more comfortable in the winter. Consider adding a whole-home humidifier, which will not only help you feel warmer, but it will also protect against the irritation that can be caused by the dry air of a forced-air furnace.
- Make sure you have enough insulation. Many homes lack the proper amount of insulation, especially in mild climates like Southern California. Have your insulation checked and add more if necessary. A properly insulated home will have lower energy costs year-round, as well as greater comfort.
- Seal drafts and air leaks. Use weatherstripping to seal drafty windows and doors and caulk to seal openings for pipes, wires, and other holes in the exterior that allow cold air inside. Changing weather is why some homeowners who want to renovate their homes may look into door repair or installation services.
- Close the curtains at night. Use heavy curtains or thick blinds (or better yet, both) during the winter to hold in the heat, closing them at night to provide insulation over drafty windows. There is a substantial number of choices when it comes to types of window coverings, so do your research.
- Take advantage of the sun. Open the curtains on south and west-facing windows during the daytime to absorb the sun’s heat.
- Minimize exhaust fan use. When the heating system is running, try to use exhaust fans as little as possible to keep the heat inside.
All of these tasks can make your home more comfortable during the winter, and most will help during the summer, as well. If your heating system is old and inefficient, it may be worth upgrading to a newer, more energy-efficient system that can keep your home comfortable while reducing your energy costs.
HVAC Services in Southern California
At Aladdin Air Conditioning & Heating, we offer several services that can improve your comfort this winter, including heating system maintenance and repairs, humidifier installations, programmable thermostat installations, and more. For over 30 years, we have been providing quality heating, air conditioning, and indoor air quality services to homeowners throughout Southern California. Our expert technicians can offer great suggestions that will help you save money while improving your comfort.
Contact Aladdin AC today to learn more about our HVAC services or to schedule heating service in Ventura County or Santa Clarita!