What to Consider Before Installing a New Air Conditioner
Posted on: March 22, 2017
Southern California summers bring soaring temperatures. Sweltering triple digit days are common throughout the coastal valleys. If the thought of the approaching heat has you concerned, it may be time to upgrade to your home’s air conditioning system. But how do you know if it’s time for an upgrade?
Time for an Air Conditioner Upgrade?
Not sure if you need to schedule an air conditioner replacement? Ask yourself these questions:
- How old is your current AC system? – If it is more than 15 years old, it is time to give it a serious examination.
- Does your current system effectively cool your home? – If your home is not comfortably cool on the hottest days, it may be a sign of a failing system or undersized unit trying to cool more space than it can handle.
- Are your air conditioning power costs going up? – Rising electrical expense for normal seasonal temperatures is a sign that your unit is running continuously or cycling on and off too frequently.
- Are repair costs rising? – Constant repair bills for your air conditioning system is a sign that it is either inadequate for the job or suffering from component failure.
- Are there hot spots in your home? – Spaces or entire rooms that are much warmer than others may indicate that your system is configured incorrectly or that it is inadequate to cool your home.
Answering yes to any of these questions may mean that it is time to do something about your air conditioner.
What to Consider When Replacing or Upgrading
When you decide it is time to upgrade or replace your air conditioning system, there are some additional items to consider:
- Home electrical panel – Older homes may require electrical upgrades to handle the load of modern air conditioning. An electrician (like one from hometeamelectric.com/city-page/coachella/) or an HVAC professional can ensure that your home’s electrical panel and circuitry meet your new air conditioner’s requirements. This way you can be sure it is running at the most optimal settings. If you are unsure and want to see the Cost To Replace Electrical Panel, you will need to do some research to find out how much that would be where you are.
- HVAC system size – Air conditioner size is rated according to the BTUs (British Thermal Units) of heat it can remove from a room in an hour. A half-ton AC unit removes 6,000 BTUs an hour. A one-ton unit 12,000 BTUs, and so on. An undersized AC unit will run constantly. An oversized one will cycle on and off frequently. Both increase power costs.
- Energy efficiency – Air conditioner efficiency is gauged by the SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating). You want an air conditioning unit with the highest SEER your budget can handle. Money spent up front on this issue pays dividends in the long run.
- Indoor air quality – Tying your air conditioner to a whole house air purifier is a great way to improve the quality of the air you breathe at home. An upgrade or replacement is the ideal time to consider indoor air quality measures.
Our Promise to Venutra County Residents
For more than 30 years, Southern Californians have trusted the professionals at Aladdin Air Conditioning & Heating to keep their homes cool and comfortable
The promise from our founder to every Aladdin customer is, we will:
- Assist you in designing the right system
- Help you select the best equipment
- Provide expert installation and the highest quality workmanship
- Guarantee what we do
Contact us today and let us show you the best way to upgrade or replace your air conditioning system. We promise we’ll make you glad you did.